Saturday, August 15, 2009

The East and Such

I have no idea why I'm leaving New York. But I will miss many things...

On Connecticut:

-Did you know that Harriet Beecher Stowe and Mark Twain were neighbors?
-Episcopalians.
-People in America DO play croquet. And they all live in Connecticut.
-Key places: Greenwich, West Hartford, Essex, and Litchfield


On Westchester, Nassau, and Suffolk Counties:

-Yes, there are people who live in the Hamptons full time
-Hipsters come here, but just don't want to admit it. They say they are just stopping by on their way to the Bronx.
-Key Places: Brookville, East Hampton, Tarrytown


And finally, On New York City

-Though I love Pilsen-- SoHo, Brooklyn, and the Lower East Side make Pilsen look like Wicker Park. Downside? Greenwich Village smells like Diarrhea in August.
-Food
-In LA, Britney Spears is an artist. In NYC, Wallace Shawn is an artist.
-Key Places: everywhere

2 comments:

Jenny Gillespie said...

Oh New York. I do remember that mushy grey garbagey summer feeling in the LES. Still, I would suffer it to be Wallace Shawn's personal assistant. I am so happy you are hitchin' a ride back to ShyKarGo! IT has been a pretty summer here and I have felt a tentatively renewed fondness for this place. Autumn is always gorgeous here so you will returning just in time for Chicago's aesthetic zenith.

KayPee said...

Croquet?
is that some east coast version of Bocce? (no no, I kid... my grandma had a croquet set. but seriously, I just found out everyone here is secretly hiding a bocce ball set in their garage.)

Also, don't forget to visit me... because I will find you... and make you a home made pair of cement shoes! (yay!)