Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Notes from Top-sider country.

I went into Hartford, the city, today. To say the least, Connecticut is best experienced through the rustic little New England towns and the natural terrain. I think Connecticut "cities" were created just so the many rich people here would no longer have to commute all the 50 minutes to New York City for work. While in Hartford, I must have thought to myself every 5 minutes, "Oh! What is that beautiful historic looking building? Perhaps a museum? Perhaps a former home of a founding father? Oh. An insurance building... Oh! What is that beautiful palatial building? A church? A synagogue? Oh. An insurance building."

This patriotic looking homage to democracy, for example, is the Hartford Fire Insurance Company. Nothing more. Regardless, the countryside here is nice and the towns are storybook quaint. Everyone wears top-siders and ties their sweaters around their shoulders. Naturally, this troubled me as I am never one to fit in.

So, are there really places that are "right" for individual people? I know that in general, there are those who are more "city", "suburb" or "country" types. But isn't it possible to, as the saying goes, "love the one you're with if you can't be with the one you love"? With my work, I like to perpetuate a parallax with art. I find this easier to do in the city. I suppose, however, that it is possible to do anywhere else, as long as I take the time to take in the dynamics of the society.
---Afterall, Shakespeare wrote, as Touchstone, "those that are good manners at the court are as ridiculous in the country as the manners of the country is mockable at court” (not exact words, As You Like It). Contradictions in the world do not cancel each other out, but instead exist side by side as paradox. But ofcourse, I cannot let the general public know this, as it obviates my parallax-driven art. =) So ask yourselves this: Do you like where you are? If not, couldn't you? And if so, why?

3 comments:

KayPee said...

a) oh those insurance companies...

b) Now that I am following you, you are required to update regularly, got it?
use me as your inspiration if need be!

Jenny Gillespie said...

I am still unsure as to my preference, city or country. I do like towns, like Austin and Charlottesville, but Paris and New York also make me feel intoxicated, like I could create a new persona every day. Chicago though leaves much to be desired these days! I'm glad you can find natural beauty in your adopted summer home!

Anonymous said...

lol. If you're going to be insured, why not from a building that looks incredible and historic? :P Are you sure those buildings do not have any history behind them that was later taken over...? Well, maybe not... you'd think it'd become some historical site if that was the case. As it is, they probably just like to trick you. ;)

And yes, I believe you can love the place you're in. Like everything in life, why should that be different? You're attitude about, say, studying for the math portion of the GRE, something you may not be naturally inclined to like, is made worthwhile by your attitude. I don't see how location is much different, even if there is a natural preference.

I say this because I have learned to enjoy living in Upland, Indiana. Shock, I know. Now, I wouldn't want to live here forever, but there are some nice aspects to it. Campus is beautiful, it's a nice campus community, people are friendly, etc...

I like to be a good friend and comment early. lol.

<_<
>_>