Monday, July 13, 2009

Hamptons and the coast

I really do prefer the East-coast coasts to the West-coast coasts. Perhaps it is because I grew up with Santa Monica Beach almost literally in my backyard and it is nothing new to me? Santa Monica Beach has the golden sands, palm trees, and the general bonhomie, but the Hamptons have the white sand, the greenery, and the assurance that the lifeguard was not hired because of how big her boobs are.




Everyone knows that I am a bonafide city boy. Yet, as I had recently told my friend Jenny, even I like to escape to the country for a little at a time in the summer. Emily Dickinson once wrote in a letter to I forget who, "how strange that nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude" or something like that. I wonder why that is the case? Truth be told, I have been escaping to New York City almost every afternoon, even just to sit and study at a coffee shop, as of late. I do, however, like the New England foliage.

1 comment:

Jenny Gillespie said...

I'm so jealous you can get to NYC every day--and spend time at the ocean too! I'm stuck in the prairie wasteland! (Although it's been nice lately) I am really itching to go to NYC lately. Maybe I will come meet you..lalala!